Lightning Risk Assessments
Lightning Risk assessment Study, analyses the measure of risk of a lightning strike and probability of damages in a critical and systematic manner.
The lightening Risk Assessment study is important because if a building is hit by lightning hypothetically, it will vaporize any moisture between the walls of the building into steam and this could lead to an explosion of the wall which could cause a lot of damage to the equipment, people and the building itself. To take preventative measures from these, lightning risk assessments are done.
The objectives and scope of the Lightning & Surge Protection Study are as follows:
- The main objective of a lightning protection system is to protect a structure from damages due to lightning strikes.
- Evaluate the condition of current existing lighting protection system of a facility, and suggest recommendations if necessary.
- Make sure that the facility is compliant with international standards and regulations that is required by them.
- Study of maintenance aspects of lightening protection and suggest suitable corrective actions in existing system.
FLOW CHART FOR RISK ASSESSMENT (BASED ON IEC 62305-3) IS AS FOLLOWS:
IFE follows the above flow chart and proceeds with Lightning Risk Assessment using the following step by step approach:
a) Collection of necessary data.
b) Assessment of Risk for Lightning protection.
c) Conclusion and recommendations.
d) Design of Lightning Protection system as per Risk Assessment results with necessary drawings.
e) When specifically requested by client, inputs to procurement/execution package for implementation of lightning protection system.
Figure 1- Detailed Methodology
- Overall plot plan, Drawings of individual buidlings are required.
- Shell steel thickness of storage tanks and vessels.
- Existing Lightning protection & earthing system layout.
- Data needs to be provided for Checklist of lightning protection risk assessment like operation hours, number of people in each building, type of cable laying, Fire detection & fighting devices installation,etc.
Following are the deliverables;
- Final report which consist of Lightning risk assessment calculations, supporting documents/drawings, conclusion and recommendations. (one hard copy and softcopy)
SOFTWARE AND STANDARDS
- IEC 62305 – 1: Protection against lightning - Part 1: General Principles
- IEC 62305 – 2: Protection against lightning - Part 2: Risk Management
- IEC 62305 – 3: Protection against lightning - Part 3: Physical damage to structures and Life.
- IEC 62305 – 4: Protection against lightning - Part 4: Electrical and electronic systems within structures.
Risk Assessment tool:
Inhouse risk assessment tool which is based on IEC 62305. See screenshot below:
Suryapet, Telangana ,India
Lightning protection assessment Study
QP FEED MIC PORT 6