Lightning Risk Assessment
Lightning Risk assessment Study, analyses the measure of risk of a lightning strike and probability of damages in a critical and systematic manner.
The lightning Risk Assessment study is extremely necessary as a result of if a building is hit by lightning hypothetically, it'll vaporize a wet layer between the walls of the building into steam and may cause an explosion of the wall that might cause a lot of harm to the instrumentation, individuals and conjointly the building itself. To require preventative measures from these, lightning risk assessments are done.
The goal and scope of the Lightning & Surge Protection Study are as follows:
- The main objective of a lightning protection system is to safeguard a structure from damages thanks to lightning strikes.
- Evaluate the condition of current existing lighting protection system of a facility, and suggest recommendations if necessary.
- Make sure that the ability is compliant with international standards and laws that's needed by them.
- Study of maintenance aspects of lightning protection and recommend applicable corrective actions in existing system.
FLOW CHART FOR RISK ASSESSMENT (BASED ON IEC 62305-3) IS AS FOLLOWS:
IFE follows the above flow chart and approaches with Lightning Risk Assessment with the following step:
a) Assortment of necessary information.
b) Assessment of Risk for Lightning protection.
c) Conclusion and suggestions.
d) Architectural plan of Lightning Protection system as per Risk Assessment results with necessary drawings.
e) Once specifically requested by client, inputs to procurement/execution package for implementation of lightning protection system.
- Overall plot organize, Drawings of individual buildings are required.
- Shell steel density of storage tanks and vessels.
- Existing Lightning protection & grounding system layout.
- Data has to be provided for list of lightning protection risk assessment like operation hours, style of individuals in each building, variety of cable birthing, fireside detection & fighting devices installation,etc.
Figure 1- Detailed Methodology
Following are the deliverables;
- Final report that consists of Lightning risk assessment computations, supporting documents with drawings, conclusion and suggestions. (one hardcopy and softcopy)
Software And Standards
- IEC 62305 – 1: Protection against lightning - Section 1: General Principles
- IEC 62305 – 2: Protection against lightning - Section 2: Risk Management
- IEC 62305 – 3: Protection against lightning - Section 3: Physical damage to structures and Life.
- IEC 62305 – 4: Protection against lightning - Section 4: Electrical and electronic systems within structures.
Risk Assessment tool:
Inhouse risk assessment tool which is based on IEC 62305. See screenshot below:
Suryapet, Telangana ,India
Lightning protection assessment Study
QP FEED MIC PORT 6