Jindal Strips Limited was established in Hisar, Haryana by OP Jindal in the year 1970.It was commissioned as mini Steel Plant to produce hot rolled CS coils, plates, slabs and blooms. Jindal Strips Limited which eventually became Jindal Stainless Limited (JSL) has setup different Steel Plants across the country such as sponge Iron Plant at Raigarh in Madhya Pradesh and Steel Plant in Jajpur, Orissa.
Young Entrepreneurs has awarded iFluids Engineering to carry out Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) study for the proposed Green Hydrogen unit of Jindal Steel Hisar Limited (JSHL) at Hisar, Haryana.
The Green Hydrogen Plant being set up at JSL Hisar produces hydrogen by Electrolysis of water using KOH solution.
Following are the salient features of the Plant and its associated process:
- Renewable energy is generated using Solar PV, which shall be installed on shed roofs and water bodies provided by JSL. Total of 3 sheds roof and 2 bodies will allow installation of around 2.8 MWp of solar modules.
- Power generated by Solar Panels is fed into Hydrogen Plant which has a rated capacity of 350 NM3/hr.
- Hydrogen produced from the Electrolyzer at 99.0% to 99.8% purity is the raw Hydrogen, which is supplied to process vessel for removing moisture and lye from saturated hydrogen gas.
- A continuous flow is extracted from the outlet of Tanks, which is purified to 99.999% (<1 ppm O2 in H2) and -70 0C dew point purity in a hydrogen gas purifier. PRV is installed at inlet of Purifier to reduce pressure.
- A cooling/circulating water system from Cooling Tower is provided for cooling requirement of Electrolyzer lye and Hydrogen Purifier.
- A RO and DM plant is provided to ensure availability of DM water for Electrolyzer, that shall decompose DM water to Hydrogen and Oxygen gas.
- Additional inputs such as Raw water, Instrument air and Nitrogen are provided by the Client.
- Based on the above measures, the Green Hydrogen Plant may be considered to have following Unit Operations:
- Renewable Generation B) Energy Management System C) Hydrogen Generation D) Storage Unit Operations E) Purification Unit Operations F) Fire and Gas Safety System G) Utility Unit Operation and H) H2/N2 Blending unit operations.
Based on the above measures, the Green Hydrogen Plant may be considered to have following Unit Operations:
- Renewable Generation
- Energy Management System
- Hydrogen Generation
- Storage Unit Operations
- Purification Unit Operations
- Fire and Gas Safety System
- Utility Unit Operation and H) H2/N2 Blending unit operations.
The Scope of work is to carry out Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) study for the proposed Green Hydrogen Plant in Jindal Steel Hisar Limited (JSHL). HAZOP is a systematic and qualitative technique used to check for deviation in Plant’s normal operating conditions which can lead to hazardous situations or operating issues in the plant. It is a brainstorming technique to find the hazards and operational upsets using the Guidewords with Parameters such as Pressure, Temperature, Flow-rate and Level etc. HAZOP study for any Facility provides an insight into Plant day to day operation as well as overall safety aspects of the Plant.
Some of the major benefits of HAZOP are mentioned below
- Identification of Hazards and Operating problems.
- To recommend changes in Design, Procedure, etc to improve safety.
- Identification of hazards from Equipment failure, Instrument malfunction and Operational issues
- HAZOP study is carried out during Design and Procurement stage to examine the P&ID in detail for identification of deviations from normal operations that may cause operational issues or hazards.
- In addition to these, HAZOP can also be used to suggest recommended safety studies for consequences which cannot be mitigated using existing safeguards or by recommending new safeguards.