HAZard IDentification (HAZID)
HAZard IDentification (HAZID) is a well-known risk assessment & management tool used to establish inherent hazards / risks in an exceedingly process or system. A HAZID is an assessment to spot hazards and downside areas related to plant, system, operation, style and maintenance. HAZID is employed as a part of a Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA) and as a standalone analysis for i.e. installation, modification, replacement, upgrading, reduction, isolation, lifting.
By distinctive this hazards / risks early, guided actions can be taken to eliminate the hazard (or) manage the effect of exposure.
It is a method of identifying and describing hazards and threats at the earliest practicable stage of any development meant to require of.
What are the advantages of conducting HAZID Study?
The benefits of the HAZID study include, but not limited to:
- Reveal hazards at an early stage, before they happen.
- Guide within the elimination or management of the hazard/risk.
- Any special preparations required to be taken to handle these can be pre – planned.
- Avoid budget overruns since the hazard/risks are controlled early.
- Provide essential input to project development decisions.
- Any specific process modifications if required can be established at an early stage.
- Establish safeguards to manage hazards; identify areas where further understanding of safeguard effectiveness is needed.
When HAZID ought to be done?
Generally speaking, Hazard identification can be done at any time, what is going to diverge is that the depth of the study at the various time.
For example, Hazard identification applied throughout job design are totally different from what's finished an in progress method.
Be it as it could, here are some purpose wherever hazard identification will be done:
- During design and implementation
- Before tasks are done
- While tasks are being done
- During inspections
- After incidents
Approach / Methodology
The HAZID technique, accepted jointly of the most effective techniques for distinctive potential hazards and operability issues, involves the following:
- Assembly of a team of experienced project personnel
- Presentations detailing the scope of the HAZID
- Identify hazards, causes, consequences and safeguards
This study is not done by one person, but a team. Collection a competent team is one in every hallmark for an eminent study.
This team will include:
- Design consultant / Project Manager
- Production Manager
- Chemical engineer / Chemist
- Maintenance Manager
- Electrical Engineer
- Instrument Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- HSE Representative, etc.
Within the team, a lead facilitator ought be nominated to lead the study. The lead facilitator should be a competent and experienced person in the conduct of the HAZID study and by evaluating every process with a protocol step by step approach in the field.
Other data required once hazards are identified:
- Information regarding the hazards present or seemingly to be present within the workplace.
- Information from conduct of initial and periodic workplace inspections of the workplace to spot new or recurring hazards.
- Information from incident investigation.
- Information from trend analysis
- Information from the severity and probability analysis of incidents that would result for every hazard known, and use this data to prioritize corrective actions.
iFluids Engineering helps to provide the right solution and necessary recommendation with results for the precise decision for your HAZID studies…