Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), has an receiving terminal installation at Betkuchi, for the purpose of receipt, storage and dispatch of petroleum products (POL) such as Motor Spirit (MS), High Speed Diesel (HSD) and Superior Kerosene Oil (SKO).
The main objective of this study is to evaluate the potential risk levels for personnel due to accidental release of hazardous materials from loss of containment scenarios from the facilities and to evaluate the risk occurring in the facility is lies in Acceptable, ALARP or Unacceptable. The Objectives of QRA study are as follows:
- Identification of the Hazards involved and possible failure scenarios for Terminal.
- Estimation of the physical effects such as Jet Fire, Pool Fire heat radiation distances, Flammable gas dispersion distances, and overpressure explosion distances for the possible failure case scenarios which are available in the facility.
- Failure Frequency evaluation.
- Societal risk quantification and Potential Loss of Life estimation.
- According to the UK HSE risk acceptance criteria an assessment of risk to confirm that risk can be reduced to satisfy the ALARP principle.
- Suggesting some measures to reduce the risk to ALARP or Acceptable region incase the Risk is Unacceptable. Some of the risk reducing measures are Prevention, Detection, Control, Mitigation and Emergency response to
Measure of potential loss in economical or injury to human in terms of the probability of injury occurring and magnitude of the loss or injury if it occurs.
The main objective of the HAZOP (Hazard & Operability) study is
- To manage the risk in the project through identification of hazards and possible problems occur during operation and to reduce the consequences and probability of an incident which is having effect on personnel, plant, properties and Environment.
HAZOP for any project or modification serves many purposes including
- Identify the hazards inherent to the proposal.
- Accident scenarios or operating problems can occurs due to credible human and/or equipment instrument failures. Identifying such scenarios is one of the main purpose.
- Providing recommendations for Qualitatively assess the risk to overcome the possible hazards that occurring in the facility if required.
- In addition to these issues, HAZOP identifies items which could improve unit operations and efficiency
An expertized team looks at each section of a plant or system or operation, considers potential hazards from intended operation and analyses their consequences against any existing safeguards and evaluate the smooth operation.