Hindustan Petroleum Corporation limited (HPCL) have awarded to carryout the Quantitative Risk Assessment, Hazard Operability Study & Emergency Response and Disaster Management Plan at Vashi Black-oil Terminal.
Scope of Work
Risk Analysis Study
- Hazard identification & visualization of maximum credible accident Scenarios.
- This shall involve a detailed study of all areas and operations including storage & handling of the POL with a view to identify potential physical hazards which could trigger loss causing events such as fire and explosion etc. the following techniques may be employed for identification of hazards
- Preliminary Hazards Analysis (PHA): Study of hazards properties of petroleum products and listing of equipment/vessels/tank with substantial inventories.
- Identification of Credible Accident scenarios involving fire and explosion etc. on the basis of safety feature/instrumentation provided at the Plant. These shall cover both types of accident scenarios viz. ones with major consequences but low frequencies of occurrence as well as those with minor consequence but high frequencies of occurrence.
- Analysis using Dow Index (Numerical derivation) for deriving base Maximum Probable Property Damage and Exposure Radius of such damage.
- Identification of Major failure scenarios for operations.
- Consequences Analysis:
- Evaluation of representative scenarios
- Estimate impact distances.
- Fault Tree chart
- Event Tree Chart
- Event Analysis
- Frequency Evaluation: Evaluating the probable frequency of occurrence of the above- identified Credible Accident Scenarios (CAS) by use of past accident data of the plant, if available. Identification of Risk reduction measures in comparison to existing safeguards.
- Risk Estimation: Estimation of probable number of fatalities consequent to occurrence of the above identified Credible Accident Scenarios. This shall be based on the results of "consequences analysis" & "Frequency Evaluation" besides the numbers & likelihood of presence of people within the possible impact zones. Estimate areas affected by Fire /Explosion
HAZARDS AND OPERABILITY (HAZOP) STUDY: -
Scope includes Nodes study, Hazard recognition, evaluates the adequacy of Safeguards, Recommendations as needed.
Details for study will be provided by HPCL as given below: -
- P & I Diagram for review.
- Technical Officer of HPCL defines the design intent and normal operating conditions
- Facilitator suggests guideword for deviation to design discussion
- Note existing protection
Party needs to design and provide details as given below: -
- Describe design intention
- Consider guide words
- Identify all clauses
- Identify all consequences
- Identify any additional protection
- Final guide words
- Record the discussion and action in format
General Issues considered apart from Guideword study include the following aspects.
- Abnormal operations
- Human errors
- Ignition suppression
- Instrumentation failure
- Layout (Incompatible Operations separated)
- Service failure
- Spare equipment (Single Equipment having an impact)
This ERDMP is prepared based upon PNGRB regulations G.S.R. 39(E) titled 'Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (Codes of Practices for Emergency Response and Disaster Management Plan (ERDMP) Regulations, 2010'.