M/s. IOCL is having an establishment for Receipt, Storage and Distribution of petroleum products at Amausi Tehsil village, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It facilitates receipt of petroleum products viz. Motor Spirit (MS), High Speed Diesel (HSD), Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) and Superior Kerosene (SKO) through Pipelines, Rail wagons, Ethanol & Biodiesel from Tank Trucks (TTs). In addition to that it also facilitates storage and dispatch of Motor spirit (MS), Superior Kerosene Oil (SKO), Ethanol, Aviation Turbine Fuel(ATF), High Speed Diesel(HSD) and Biodiesel by Road Tankers.
The assessment is based on the hazards that may occur during the operation of the facility according to the information available. The scope of work is limited to different components associated with the proposed facility. The following facilities are covered under the QRA study.
- Receipt of products through Pipelines and Tank Lorries.
- Storage of received Petroleum products in Storage tanks of adequate capacities
- Facilities for loading Petroleum products in tank lorries, through loading arms
The main objective of this study is to evaluate the potential risk levels of personnel prone to accidental release of hazardous materials during loss of containment scenarios from the facilities and to demonstrate that individual risks lie within the broadly acceptable region. The Objectives of QRA are as follows:
- Identification of Hazards and Major Loss of Containment (LOC) events
- Calculation of physical effects of failure case scenarios that includes Estimation of Jet Fire, Pool Fire heat radiation distances, Flammable gas dispersion distances, and overpressure explosion distances
- Failure Frequency evaluation
- Societal risk quantification and Potential Loss of Life estimation
- Perform a risk assessment to confirm that risk can be reduced in consistence with ALARP principle based on UK HSE risk acceptance criteria
- Recommend risk reducing measures to ensure that all risks are in ALARP or in Acceptable region.