The Mathura Refinery, owned by IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Limited), is the sixth refinery of Indian Oil located in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh, India. The refinery processes low Sulphur crude from Bombay High, imported low Sulphur crude from Nigeria, and high Sulphur crude from the Middle East.
As part of its operations, IOCL intends to carry out Design and Engineering services for ongoing jobs, Process Schemes and Troubleshooting of the Mathura refinery, Uttar Pradesh. iFluids engineering has been entrusted to carry out the design & engineering for a number of process modification schemes, new jobs, trouble-shooting, piping related vibration problems, structural rehabilitation, equipment foundation design, modification of existing foundation, old foundation strengthening, structure-related problems, etc.
We have provided multi-disciplinary support to IOCL as mentioned below:
Design & Engineering of Raw Water Storage tanks (3000 & 1000 cum)
- Design of Civil Concrete, Generation of Soil Investigation Report and Foundation Design Based on Soil Bearing Capacity.
- Tank Design Calculation, Tank Roof Support Calculation and Tank Nozzle Provision and Orientation Drawings.
- Generation of Bill of Quantities, Piling specifications, Pile Layout and detailed sectional drawing of piles.
- Adequacy check of As-built civil foundation of existing equipment and structural supports of piping.
- Structural Audits of any identified structure along with Design-Engineering Services for new structures.
- Location of Nozzles was verified with Engineer in charge before Construction, Suitable Concrete temperature Control Measures were adopted at Site, based on recommendation from Concrete Vendor.
- Well graded Rubble Soiling / Water based Macadam (WBM) Material were placed in Horizontal Layers not exceeding 150MM and proper Moisture content for required degree of compaction and shall be compacted with Tractor drawn compactors to achieve a Final Safe Bearing Capacity of Minimum 11.0 T/Sq. m.
Construction drawing for provision of notch in existing tank foundation of Tk‐706
Construction drawing was provided considering the below parameters,
- Grade of concrete used was M25 and Steel used confirming to IS:1786
- Existing water proofing layer, cement Layer, Asphalt Concrete and Sand Layer were carefully removed for the Ring Wall to be demolished.
- The Concrete Ring wall was broken with respect to the required Dimension (i.e.) 3000x250x300mm without giving much vibration to other part of Foundation and Tank.
- A layer of cement is applied to the face of the cut portion to have the Reinforcement covered and Sand is compacted thoroughly to lay Plain Cement Concrete (PCC)
- Kerb wall is constructed to retain the Sand filling and then backfilling is done with sand, crushed Stone and Asphalt Concrete to match with the Existing Details.
Site feasibility report for Gantry Roof structure extension
- Storm Water network inside the Gantry is connected with Oily Water System. During massive rainfall, rain water from the Gantry roof flows towards the Oily Water System Network and causes blockage at the Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP). Hence, to avoid rainfall inside the gantry, it is determined by IOCL to extend the Roof Structure without welding in the Gantry Area, citing Safety Measures and considering the existing structure is 15-20 years old.
- Site Investigation Report was generated based on Site Visit in which details such as Roof Extension feasibility, Primary and Secondary Steel Member size, Purlin Data, Gantry Dimensions were collected.
- On Approval of Scope of Work listed in the Site Investigation Report by IOCL, the existing Gantry Shelter was Modelled and analyzed as per collected site Data.
- By adding the extension of roof in the existing Structure, the analysis was performed for the stability of the existing structure with the proposed extension of roof.
- Based on Completion of proposed Design, General Arrangement Drawings along with the scope of New Structure Detail was generated.
- Complete Design Calculation/Stability Report including General Arrangement Drawing was submitted for Approval.
Stress analysis of the CCRU reactor piping unit
- Stress analysis was carried out for 7 piping networks inside the Continuous Catalytic Reforming (CCR) unit.
- Stress analysis was carried out considering the “removed” flange joint as installed and flange leakage check was successfully passed for the flange joint.
- Critical piping was checked for natural frequency, as there is a likelihood of the system being subjected to low frequency excitations. Therefore, the natural frequency of each pipe line was checked.
- Additional guide / axial stop were added to increase the natural frequency of the lines. Considering the service life of the springs, recommendation was provided to replace all spring supports with new ones.
- Spring support schedule and spring support datasheets were prepared and submitted for procurement.
- Nozzle loads were checked against the allowable loads indicated in the drawing and found to be within the allowable range.
- WRC check and calculations were also carried out for the vessel nozzles.
Dome Roof Structure Design In TK‐114
- External Floating Roof (EFR) Tank is converted into Internal Floating Roof (IFR) tank and so the design of raw water tank and its foundation is carried out.
- The Structure is analyzed and designed based on Calculation and analysis of loads which includes Self Weight, Operational Load, Wind Load, and Thermal Load during the operation in its design life and erection condition.
- Stability, Serviceability and Strength checks for individual element as well as overall structure is also analyzed
- The Structural design calculation for Dome roof fabrication drawings for Dome roof Welding, bending and cutting schedule was prepared.
- A 3D Model is generated in Software for analyzing the structure with main frame members and secondary members. For Miscellaneous non-modelled structural items, loads are calculated and applied in Software as member and/or joint loads as applicable. Design of structural element is done in limit state design as per IS 800
- Structural Integrity of combined structure has been verified under Static case using the Software with appropriate design parameter.
- The dome roof structure was designed without disturbing existing nozzle in roof structure.
Seismic design is done considering Zone IV and basic wind speed is considered as 47m/sec.